Though I haven't made as systematic an attempt to cover every country in the
Caribbean as I have with Africa, I have still managed to travel pretty widely.
Below are some of my favorite titles. Haiti is a particular interest of mine,
so the Haitian emphasis will be obvious. Links will bring you to my reviews.
2. A Small Place by Jamaica Kincaid
3. Islands in the Stream by Ernest Hemingway
4. Far Tortuga by Peter Matthiessen
5. Cuba and the Night by Pico Iyer
Cuba Libre by Elmore Leonard
6. Dominican Republic
Yo! by Julia Alvarez
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
Best Nightmare on Earth by Herbert Gold
Under the Bone by Anne-christine d'Adesky
The Uses of Haiti by Paul Farmer
In the Palm of Darkness by Mayra Montero
Tell My Horse by Zora Neale Hurston
Divine Horsemen by Maya Deren
Continental Drift by Russell Banks
The Black Jacobins by C.L.R. James
Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat
9. The Book of Jamaica by Russell Banks
10. Two Years in the French West Indies by Lafcadio Hearn
11. Cambridge by Caryl Phillips
13. A House for Mr. Biswas by V.S. Naipaul
Easy in the Islands by Bob Shacochis
The Chosen Land, The Timeless People by Paule Marshall
Copyright © 1999 - 2014 Geoff Wisner. All rights reserved.
Designed and Built by Jenn Powered by ExpressionEngine.